MADHAVA MATHEMATICS COMPETITION
The Madhava Mathematics Competition is a National Level Mathematics Competition for under graduate students in Mathematics/Computer Science organized by S.P. College, Pune and Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, TIFR, Mumbai funded by National Board of Higher Mathematics. Last year nearly 700 students from Kerala appeared. Yash Totani, Kirthana R. & Vishal Kumar Yadav from IISER, Thiruvananthapuram, Anand O. R. from Union Christian College, Aluva and Jebasingh R., Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham bagged the 1st five positions from Kerala. This year also we expect good response from the Mathematics community.
1) Eligibility : The competition is basically meant for the students of Second Year (3rd/4th semester) B.Sc. Mathematics or any degree with Mathematics as one of the subjects. However, interested students of First Year and Third Year B.Sc. Mathematics may also appear.
2) Date and time of Examination: January 7, 2018; 12:00 – 3:00 p.m.
3) Nature of the Question Paper: There will be objective type questions, short answers and essay type questions. The maximum time allotted is 3hrs and maximum mark is 100.
4) Prizes: At national level, students above a certain cut-off mark will get cash prizes and selection for a summer camp in Mathematics. The regional level toppers of Kerala region will also be given cash prizes. All the students appearing for the competition will receive participation certificate.
5) Topics to be covered: Calculus of one variable (sequences, series, continuity, differentiation etc.), elementary algebra (polynomials, complex numbers and integers), elementary combinatorics and general puzzle type/ mixed type problems.
6) Registration: A registration fee of Rs. 100/- will be charged per student for ensuring his/her seriousness in the enrollment and assurance of participation. The colleges are requested to send a list of candidates from their college in the prescribed format along with the registration fees (amount collected from all the students appearing for examination from that college as a single DD in favor of Center co-ordinator, MMC) to Dr.Aparna Lakshmanan S., Center Co-ordinator (Kerala), Department of Mathematics, St.Xavier’s College for Women, Aluva – 683 101 so as to reach on or before November 30th, 2017. There is no restriction for the number of students from a college. A soft copy of the list of students must be send to email@example.com. All future correspondences will be made only to the e-mail id used for registration.
click here to download application form: MMC Application format
8) Possible Centers in Kerala (Final confirmation depends upon the number of students applying for a particular center and consent from the authorities):
For further details contact Dr. Aparna Lakshmanan S. (Ph : 9847742405)