National Service Scheme was started to establish a meaningful linkage between the campus and the community. Along with that it has the objective of ‘education and personality development of the students through service to the community’.The NSS unit of St. Xavier’s College is a strong and committed one which is acclaimed as one of the best in M.G University. It enables the students to become aware of their social and moral duties and initiates them into social and community service. The participants are given the chance to develop their patriotic feeling through community leaving and united action. Volunteers who undergo the prescribed course of training will be given the certificates from the University. NSS certificate holders of all classes get grace marks in the University admission and bonus mark to admission to higher courses.
In association with various social organizations and local bodies, we had made social, economic and health surveys in the different wards of Aluva Municipality with various awareness programmes, rallies etc.In association with IMA and Jacees in all the years we have conducted Blood donation programmes Rolleys slide shows etc.
The special camp we are conducting is giving a chance to the students to the students to live along with the residents of the camp site, to undertake various constructive work, literate them, create awareness about various social evils like drugs and smoking, AIDS etc. For environmental protection our volunteers have planted saplings in the Aluva Municipality
College has continuously won awards for best unit, best programme officer and best volunteer awards in university level. Some of the major achievements since 2012 are provided below.
- Adjudged as the BEST NSS UNIT in Kerala State in the year 2012-13.
- Sr. Reethamma V. A- Best Supporting Principal in Kerala State in the year 2012-13.
- Raji Joseph- Best Programme Officer in Kerala State in the year 2012-13.
- Miss AnuYohannan – Best Volunteer Secretary in Kerala State in the year 2012-13.
- Best NSS Unit (Moses Trophy) in M. G. University in the year 2012-13.
- Sr. Percy- Best Supporting Principal in M. G. University in 2012-13.
- Raji Joseph- Best Programme Officer in M. G. University in 2012-13.
- Miss AnuYohannan- Best Volunteer Secretary in M. G. University in 2012-13.
- One of the Best Units in M. G. University in 2014-15.
- Sr. Reethamma V. A.- Best Supporting Principal in 2014-15.
- Saumi Mary M.- Best Programme Officer in 2014-15.
- Miss Jiffna Henry- Best Volunteer Secretary in 2014-15.
- Miss Swarna Thomas- Best Volunteer Secretary in Kerala State in 2015-16.
- Unit received Certificate of Appreciation from M. G. University in 2015-16.
- Sr. Reethamma V. A.- Certificate of Appreciation for Supporting Principal in 2015-16.
- Resmi Varghese- Certificate of Appreciation for commendable services as Programme Officer in 2015-16.
- Miss Swarna Thomas- Best Volunteer Secretary in M. G. Universityin 2015-16.
- The Red Ribbon Club under NSS unit received the State Award Instituted by Kerala State AIDS Control Society (KSACS) for promotion of female blood donation. (2012-2013)
- The NSS unit received the State Award instituted by Indian Medical Association for promotion of blood donation.(2012- ’13)
- The NSS unit received award for Promotion of Voluntary Blood Donation instituted by Regional Blood Transfusion Centre, Aluva and Hindustan Latex Company Ltd.(2012-’13)
- The NSS unit received special award for promoting voluntary blood donation from Indian Medical Association-Madhya Kerala.(2012-’13)
- NSS Unit received Award for Promoting Voluntary Blood Donation,from Regional Blood Transfusion Centre, Aluva Co-sponsored by IMA Madhya Kerala in 2015-16.
- NSS Unit received Certificates of Appreciation from District Health Department, Ernakulam and the District Hospital, Aluva for the voluntary involvement in the Pulse Polio Immunization Programmes conducted by the Health Department in 2015-16.
- NSS Unit received Award from Divisional Manager, Southern Railway for the laudable services of the Unit to Indian Railway in 2015-16.
- Received Letter of Appreciation from District Collector, Ernakulam for the voluntary contributions of the Unit in “EnteKulam-Ernakulam” Project, a project of District Collector to revive water sources in Ernakulam District in 2015-16.
- Miss AnuYohannan was selected for National Integration Camp held at Jodhpur, Rajasthan (2012-’13).
- MsSreeshma Raj T R was selected for the South Zone Pre- Republic Day Camp at Bangalore (2012-13).
- Miss Swarna Thomas was selected for South Zone Pre-Republic Day Parade Camp held at Mysore (2015-’16).
- Miss Arundhathy J. was selected for South Zone Pre-Republic Day Parade Camp held at National College, Thiruchirapally (2016-’17).
- Saumi Mary M. was selected as the Contingent Leader and the volunteers Janet J Thomas and Bincy C. Sunny were selected for the two days Consultation Programme on SAARC Youth Charter, organised by United Nations Population Fund at RGNIYD, SreePerumbadur, Chennai (2013-’14).
- Resmi Varghese was selected as the Contingent Leader for National Integration Camp at Bellari, Karnataka (2016-’17).